Monday, November 24, 2008

Adam Scott

So today I am blogging about something very personal that I think every parent, aunt, friend of a young child should see:

My 3 1/2 year old nephew swallowed a Chuck E Cheese coin Thursday afternoon and was violently throwing up as it was lodged in his esophagus. Thankfully, it was lodged in a way which he was still able to breathe and speak as he said "Mommy, I swallowed Chuck E Cheese money." After going to the local hospital (which has no pediatric unit for emergencies,) he was rushed to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where my brother and sister-in-law were told it was not an 'emergency' so they would have to wait until morning to have it removed. Obviously this news was horrifying in that it rotating or shifting the smallest bit could cause it to close his airway and for him to both stop breathing and lose consciousness. He was fine through the night (thank god) and made a speedy recovery - coming home as the same rowdy, adorable, silly 3 year old boy he is. 

He recovered just fine but let this be a lesson.

My nephew is not dumb, in fact he is the smartest 3 year old I know, so we were all very surprised that he did this. Be aware at all times, life is too precious. 



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. I'm glad that he is ok. I think your sister should report the emergency rooms actions to someone though. That's ridiculous.

Unknown said...

So frightening!! I'm so glad he is okay!!

And so appalled by the ER visit!! That is truly terrible!